Filming in Portugal
Portugal offers fantastic locations, easy access, and the capacity to "double" as many other countries. From the rugged wilderness of the northeastern corner through the mountain landscapes in the center and down to the rolling plains of the Alentejo and the cliff-backed beaches of the Algarve, Portugal never ceases to surprise with its astounding variety.
All this is bordered to the west and the south by a long coastline that offers some of Europe's most beautiful beaches – endless open stretches or secluded coves – as well as dramatic coastal cliffs rising above the foaming Atlantic. The country is dotted with little towns and villages and its major cities mix history and tradition with the new and ultra-modern. With one of Europe's mildest and sunniest climates the film season never really ends – and the country's location at the southwestern edge of Europe gives the light here a quality all its own.
Portugal's multicultural population is a great casting resource. The film crews are hard-working and professional. Several equipment rental houses provide the latest and most up-to-date choice of camera, grip and lighting equipment. The choice of specialized equipment such as helicopter rigs, stabilized heads, low loaders, tracking vehicles etc. has increased tremendously over the years and we rarely have to go across the border to Spain for this type of equipment any longer. Various post-production houses insure that any immediate post-production issues can be dealt with just hours after a wrap.
All of the above, plus Portugal possibly being Western Europe’s most film-budget friendly country, add up to a great reason to get in touch with us and make Portugal your next film destination. We’re here to satisfy all your needs and make sure your production is successful and pleasant – from the very first contact to leaving with everything you wanted on the hard-drive.
Let us take care of your filming in Portugal... and beyond!
Filming in Portugal : Filming in Spain : Filming in Brazil : Filming in Madeira : Filming in the Azores
Some facts about Portugal
- The continental coastline is 943 km; the total coastline – including the archipelagos of the Azores and Madeira - is 1,793 km.
- Portugal is amongst the sunniest areas in Europe with around 2500-3200 hours of sunshine a year.
- The Alqueva lake, about 2 hours drive from Lisbon, is with its 250 square kilometers the largest man-made lake in Europe.
- Portugal has five major rivers, the Douro, the Tagus, the Minho, the Guadiana and the Mondego.
- The Vasco da Gama Bridge spanning the Tagus River in Lisbon is Europe’s longest bridge at 17.2 km.
- Average hotel room price in Portugal in 2014 was €87, compared to €101 in Spain, €117 in the Netherlands, €122 in Italy, €127 in the US and €129 in the UK.
- Salaries are also lower; the average salary in Portugal is 56% of that in Spain, 40% of that in France, 36% of that in the UK and 22% of that in Norway.
- Half of the “New World” once belonged to Portugal. In 1494, The Treaty of Tordesillas was signed which essencially gave Portugal a large part of the world, including Brazil and parts of Africa and Asia. The Portuguese Empire was one of the longest-lived colonial powers, lasting for almost six centuries from when Ceuta was captured in 1415, until Macau was handed over to China in 1999.
- Lisbon is older than Rome. Around four centuries older to be precise. It is in fact the second oldest European capital after Athens. Many historians believe that it was settled by the Phoenicians around 1200BC, who used the excellent transport possibilities offered by the River Tagus.
- Portuguese is the eighth most spoken language in the world. With approximately 200 million native speakers and 240 million total speakers, it is usually listed as the most spoken language after Mandarin, English, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic, Russian and Bengali.
- SouthWest Productions is your production service company in Portugal for all your filming requirements.
- We have been filming for 23 years in Portugal.
Production Service Portugal : Production Service Spain : Production Service Brazil
Production Service Madeira : Production Service the Azores